Re: If glibc had a logo what would it be?

Hello,

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
> Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 00:37:07 -0600
>
>> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
>>> From: William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
>>> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:04:45 -0600

>>> Nothing is more arrogant than telling volunteers how to spend their
>>> time.
>>
>> Which is precisely what GLIBC developers do when they force them to
>> continue providing stubs for strlcpy() and strlcat().
>
> The implication is that these developers were somehow forced to use
> strlcpy() instead of the alternatives.
>
> They were not.

Forced, no.

They are not forced to use them, however, GLIBC is forcing them to use
an alternative instead of a pair of functions which are widely
implemented or provide a possibly insecure reimplementation.

Is it really too hard to just say "Yes, if you give us a patch and the
code itself is not bad, we will integrate it into GLIBC after 2.17 is
out."?  Literally every other relevant libc in modern UNIX has these
functions.

Come on.

William