Re: support for calling Linux syscalls directly

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 03:23:31PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 01/31/2013 03:10 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Rich Felker wrote:
> >
> >> What I'd like to see is an honest reevaluation of the currently
> >> missing syscall wrappers glibc doesn't provide. If there are some that
> >> libc should provide, let's get them added. If they're really not meant
> >> to be used except in a single application (or not at all -- deprecated
> >> junk) then they can just be left alone.
> >
> > I agree with that approach - with the requirement that any new syscall
> > wrapper added must have a prototype included in some header that glibc
> > installs.
>
> I agree we should do this for things that are "glibc material".

The approach I proposed was to determine what's "glibc material". I
suspect everything that's not does not belong in a library at all. If
the syscall is specific to a single package (like modutils), then the
package (e.g. modutils) maintainers are going to be a lot more
competent dealing with the kernel interface than a third party trying
to maintain libinux.

Rich