Re: Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit 2013: The GNU C Library.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Friday 15 March 2013 12:30:16 Chris Leonard wrote:
>> An area I would like you to touch on is the role of the GNU C Library
>> in internationalization (i18n) and localization (L10n) via it's
>> stewardship of the glibc locale files.
>
> glibc is important in this area, but i wonder if libicu isn't filling a bigger
> role.  as you mention further along, cross-device portability is playing a
> huge factor in application development.  for such projects, relying on glibc
> isn't feasible (since they often want to run on Android, iOS, OS X, Windows,
> etc...), so they turn to libicu which can do all of these platforms.
>
> i'm simply making an observation here.  not agreeing/disagreeing/whatever with
> your points.
> -mike

Nor will I disagree with your point that CLDR locales (used by libicu,
Mozilla, etc.) are increasingly important, but I will note that Carlos
is speaking at a "Linux Collaboration Summit" and in that context,
glibc locales are critical.

>From my perspective of working with new language communities to
localize Sugar and the OLPC OS (essentially a Fedora spin that
provides Sugar/GNOME dualboot), it concerns me that CLDR has locales
for some languages (particularly some African languages) that are not
represented in glibc.

I do hope that L10n of the smaller UI string collection of Sugar in
some of the languages we are working on (most recently, indigenous
languages of South and Central America and languages of Oceania) will
ultimately lead to further efforts on those languages upstream, in due
time.  I also hope that the fine work being done in many languages on
Mozilla's new Pootle instance will in time migrate to other projects.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator