Re: [SPATCH] Add space after function call.

On 05/31/2013 01:08 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> Large formatting patches should go in at the start of a development cycle.
>
> That's not at all clear to me.

As the end of the release cycle approaches we should be focusing our energy
on fixing bugs and stabilizing the release not reviewing formatting changes.
We've had this conversation before, and there isn't really a right answer
except to say that as a volunteer you can do what you want. If you have time
to review Ondrej's patch then please do, but I don't, and I don't want to
encourage these kinds of patches at the end of a development cycle.

> The start of a development cycle is the
> time when there's likely to be the highest rate of cherry-picking fixes to
> the previous release branch, so putting in such patches at the start of
> the cycle would increase the proportion of those patches needing merge
> conflicts fixed.

That's something I hadn't considered and good point for putting in the
change right now.

> There may well not be a version of this patch ready to go in before the
> release freeze, but in general I don't see any reason to avoid such
> patches late in a cycle (before the freeze).

Cheers,
Carlos.