Re: Thread-, Signal- and Cancellation-safety documentation

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 04:27:15PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 06/04/2013 04:19 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
>
> >The clone syscall is not needed; the unshare syscall will do. I don't
> >know whether it's part of glibc's interface contract for this to work,
> >but as far as I can tell, pthread_create and calling unshare in the
> >new thread is safe and usable with most if not all of the current
> >unshare flags.
>
> The unshare manual page talks about the process, not about the
> calling process.  Does it really apply to the thread only?  Then we
> should fix the manual page.

Yes. It's one of a large number of Linux man pages that have this bug.
Fixing them all is a big project, but would be a valuable
contribution, since the misunderstandings stemming from them are a
huge source of confusion programmers new to Linux face...

Rich