Re: Avoid trailing whitespace in sysdeps/gnu/errlist.c

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013, Ondrej Bilka wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 12:19:23PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > This patch avoids trailing whitespace in the generated file
> > sysdeps/gnu/errlist.c by adjusting the generator errlist.awk not to
> > generate it.  Tested x86_64.
> >
> You should use single tool that does job perfectly than reimplement it.
> Please add pass to delete trailing whitespace.

I disagree.  I believe that when we check in generated files and control
the generator program, we should make the generator program generate
output in the form we want to check in, rather than postprocessing the
output with a separate program.  I think postprocessing should only be a
last resort for cases where we do not control the generator and do not
want to require a fixed version of it (or a fixed release does not exist).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com