Re: Update on freeze status of glibc 2.18?

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 21:17 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Certainly it is.  Consider the following example, built on F19 (glibc 2.17) and
> > run on F18 (glibc 2.16):
> >
> > #include <time.h>
> > void *x = clock_nanosleep;
> > int main() { return 0; }
> >
> > $ ./z1
> > ./z1: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by ./z1)
> >
> > Given that we've used sensible names for our versions, I think that error
> > message is crystal clear.
>
> Ok. So AFAIK the assert failure can only happen with the new generic
> initializer, as pthread_mutexattr_settype always rejects any types
> it doesn't know about.
>
> So there are three options I see:
> 1. stay with the assert failures
> 2. add the new symbol versions (so that the error above is displayed)
> 3. remove the generic initializer.
>
> I personally would prefer 1. or 3. over 2. 2. seems quite intrusive
> to me, as it will cause quite a bit more failures in practice.
> I think losing the generic initializer isn't a too big loss.

3. would be okay for me at the current stage and the need to get
something in soon.  All the user-provided per-lock customization is
something we can add later on once we agree on the details.
Also, we don't yet have consensus on the semantics of any elision flags
the user could provide (i.e., just performance hints vs.
semantics-modifying flags).