Re: locale files and page size

On 9/10/2013 9:52 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> So: should we simply eliminate this page-alignment optimization completely
> (I rather doubt it makes any significant difference to the cost of loading
> a locale from the archive)

It might be informative to try a quick profile with getpagesize() vs some other large page size-ish constant and see if there is any noticeable difference.  If there isn't, I'd suggest just aligning to something cache-line-ish (64, 256, etc) in a platform-independent way and leave it at that.  If there is, I'd still suggest just aligning to some fixed "normal" page size like 4K and not worrying about it - I doubt that on architecture with larger default page sizes (like tile) that it would matter that much to be aligned to some large but sub-page-size alignment.

--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com