Re: to-do: formalize/automate tracking of files maintained elsewhere

> <https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Regeneration> is intended to cover all
> cases of checked-in files not maintained as source in glibc (whether files
> that come verbatim from upstream source, or generated files).

Thanks for the pointer.  The two categories are quite different and it is
unhelpful to conflate them.  Generated files are pretty well dealt with by
the build system.  Copied files are not dealt with by anything but people
happening to remember to manually do something.  The task I requested is to
achieve a codified procedure (at least codified, if not mostly automated)
to ensure that copied files are not forgotten.

> Note that scripts/update-copyrights has its own list, used to avoid
> modifying copyright dates in such files.

Duplication of such lists is also unhelpful.  Part of the
codification/automation task should be to move the list of copied files
into a single place that is used both by the new automation code and by
your script.

Incidentally, that script would do better to use 'git ls-files' rather than
find.

Thanks,
Roland