Re: [x86-64 psABI] RFC: Extend x86-64 PLT entry to support MPX

Hi all,

I'd like to restart discussion on this topic. I see two viable options
in this thread for PLT entry for MPX.

The first one is to use new relocation for calls requiring extended
PLT. Linker may decide then which PLT entries should be extended and
use 16 byte entries when possible. The only question here is how
dynamic linker may detect MPX binary and try to search for MPX shared
libraries. Does it have access to PLT section to check it? Isn't still
better to just use note section?

The second one is a note section. It does not have as good granularity
as new relocation but in the most cases all calls in MPX object file
would require extended PLT. Therefore linker create extended PLT entry
if it used by function from object files marked with the MPX note
section. The only drawback here is that old linker will just silently
ignore this note section and user have to check linker version.

Due to mentioned drawback of the second approach I would vote for the
new relocation but still with note section for dynamic liker.

Thanks,
Ilya