Re: PowerPC LE configury

Late follow-up to https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-08/msg00595.html from august. Sorry if this breaks the original thread.

I have been looking at the idea for changing how the .abilist files are found. To try it out I changed Makerules and some of the configure-related files and I have it working in rough form. .abilist files in a common directory with names modified to include an abi name (like "ld.some_abi_name.abilist") are found first. If an .abilist file is not found there the old names (sans .some_abi_name) and old search method of using the sysdeps directories is used to find the file.

The question raised earlier in the thread and what I'd like to discuss further is: what should the abi names look like? One proposal was "This name may look similar to a GNU target triplet, but need not be identical to one." (from https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00589.html) These abi names could be used for other purposes, too (as per that other thread).

Something to keep in mind is how to handle the search hierarchy (such as it is) with the new naming scheme. I was using a powerpc64 system and an x86_64 system for my testing and they used .abilist files out of either sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/<architecture> or sysdeps/generic but the entire sysdeps tree (as architecture appropriate) is searched for the files.

--

-Bill Seurer