Re: Consensus on MT-, AS- and AC-Safety docs.

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 17:32 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2013, Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I don't think so.  At least the following line, like every line that
> >> would precede the table, doesn't seem like English, let alone English
> >> sentences, to me ;-)
> >>
> >> void *realloc (void *addr, size_t size)
>
> > But we document what realloc does in full English sentences, don't we?
>
> Yeah, but why should a table without running sentences that's
> conceptually and physically closer to the non-English prototype

If you want the properties to be code or a formal notation, you better
get a proper, formal definition first.  Right now, they are informal
annotations, so keywords consisting of non-made-up words seem to be the
right thing for me.

> be
> forced into standards that don't even apply to the running text, where
> non-English words and contractions often appear in the middle of
> sentences?

I'm not arguing that you should stick to any rules, nor that you are not
paying attention to tradition, or something like that.  I'm saying that
I think that cryptic keywords aren't the right thing to do in this
particular case, and why.  Even if we have other cases of cryptic
keywords or such, this doesn't mean that's the golden standard to
follow.