Re: Policy: Require new dynamic loader names for entirely new ABIs?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Are you suggesting we change the dynamic loader names for the various
> MIPS ABIs, and tell users to use symlinks as the workaround?

No.  Rather, I'd suggest that changes of names for existing ABIs are
generally avoided, though it may be desirable to have more unique names
for new ABIs (however defined).

> > I believe glibc supports the following (architecture, ABI)
> > combinations, with dynamic linker names as indicated (could
> > architecture maintainers please correct any errors?) - for a total of
> > 62 incompatible ABIs (24 of them for MIPS).  There may well be uses
> > cases of configure triplets and --with-fp / --without-fp options
> > accepted by configure, but I don't expect any such other cases
> > actually to work.  (The exact extent of support varies - inclusion in
> > this list means I think the configuration was at one point intended by
> > the port maintainer to be functional, though some may not currently
> > build without patches.)
>
> OK.

(Further examination of SH leads me to suspect 64 ABIs, with SH3 being
incompatible with SH4 - but only having soft-float, so only adding 2 not 4
more ABIs.  But removal of am33 support will bring the number down to 63.)

> > x86 Hurd (32-bit, hard-float): /lib/ld.so (that is, GCC uses that name
> > with -dynamic-linker so in PT_INTERP; my understanding of
> > shlib-versions is that it gets the SONAME ld.so.1 by default).
>
> Is that a bug?

I don't know.  Thomas?

--
Joseph S. Myers