Re: ABI / dynamic list now on wiki

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Chris Metcalf wrote:

> On 1/22/2014 8:34 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/ABIList
>
> There is no actual software stack support for BE tilepro, and as that
> chip architecture is in maintenance mode, we at Tilera are not planning
> to do this work.  It is possible in principle but would require both
> kernel and libc work to make it happen.  Is it worth calling this out as
> an actual option, given all those caveats?

No, I'd suggest removing the BE entries for tilepro (and probably also
tilegx - in fact I don't see any BE support for that in GCC either).
Having a bits/endian.h that allows for different endiannesses is confusing
when you don't actually have support for those endiannesses.

In general I'd approve of:

* detecting --with-fp / --without-fp by examining what the compiler does
rather than through configure options; and

* detecting subarchitecture variants likewise, with the configure triplet
being less significant; and

* having more sanity checks at configure time that the compiler
configuration is one actually supported for glibc.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com