Re: Linux kernel version support policy

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 03:08:05PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 29/01/14 12:10, Rich Felker wrote:

> >> yes.  they control the userland, not the kernel.
> >
> > While I'd like to bump the requirement, I see this as the best
> > argument for NOT doing so. There are a lot of environments, especially
> > cheap OpenVZ-based hosting, where the userland is provided completely
> > by the customer/user who WANTS to be up-to-date, but who's stuck with
> > a backwards kernel from their hosting provider.
> >

> This is an issue I had when I set the minimum kernel version to 2.6.32
> in the Arch Linux glibc build.  A lot of OpenVZ users were unhappy and I
> believe an unofficial repository was set up to maintain a parallel glibc
> package with 2.6.18 support.
>
> Anyway, lets look at what various Linux distributions do with
> --enable-kernel:
>
> Arch Linux: 2.6.32
> Debian: 2.6.32

For Debian the policy we have up to now is to set --enable-kernel to the
kernel version shipped in release N-2. Given the freeze time, glibc 2.20
has some chances to be in Jessie, so --enable-kernel 2.6.32 would be
fine. For glibc 2.21 or later, Debian will be fine with --enable-kernel
up to 3.2.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73