Re: Release branch maintenance

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 04:12:21AM -0700, Adam Conrad wrote:
> We (both Debian and Ubuntu) pull a *lot* of patches from master back
> into stables and I'll admit that I've been monumentally bad about
> committing those on the upstream branch when we do.  I suppose the

You're not alone; I believe most major distributions (including Fedora
and RHEL) are guilty of this.

> thought has been that I'm often not even sure if anyone other than
> us is using the branch in question, so there may not be much shared
> benefit to committing back, but if we all got into the habit, it'd
> certainly make stable maintenance easier, even if we didn't update
> from the stable branches directly.  Getting an overview of what fixes
> others deemed important would be helpful.

While I agree that it is the Right Thing to do, it is an overhead to
clone an upstream bugzilla for the branch, post the patch for the
backport, get it reviewed (and maybe even get an ack from the branch
maintainer if (s)he is not the reviewer) and then pull the patch in.
The benefits are even less (zero?) if they don't intend to ever rebase
their distribution tarballs to use the point releases.

Maybe everyone (me and Carlos included) needs to go back into their
distro huddles and decide if it makes sense for their distribution to
do point release rebases at regular intervals.  That should be a good
incentive to maintain the branch releases and even monitor what goes
in there.

Siddhesh