Re: glibc 2.19 status?

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Allan McRae wrote:

> Joseph suggests reverting them[1] and Roland agreed[2].  Here is more
> from Roland about the issue and concerns about breaking the ABI [3].
>
> [1] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-01/msg00720.html
> [2] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-01/msg00770.html
> [3] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-01/msg00719.html
>
> As far as I see, there was no formal conclusion on what to do for
> glibc-2.19 here.  Hence the query in the status list.

Well, what we should not do is sit around indefinitely delaying the
release!  Revert the changes, run the testsuite on x86_64 and x86, commit
the reversion and start the process for the actual release.  It's clear we
do not have consensus to keep the changes in 2.19, which is what matters.

We can discuss later in what form such changes might come back for 2.20
(on the whole my view is that the problems are fundamental to the approach
of signal-safe allocation and would best be avoided by the approach of
allocating at dlopen / pthread_create time - where objects opened with the
old symbol version of dlopen, or using a new RTLD_LAZY_TLS flag, keep lazy
TLS but do without signal-safety).  I think providing better interfaces
for tools to identify memory allocated by glibc is a good idea, but
largely orthogonal to solving the TLS signal-safety problem.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com