Re: [2.20] [5/6] Generate overall summary of test results

On 01/09/2014 06:14 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
Questions:

* Is the use of a single merge-test-results.sh script appropriate or
   should it be two separate scripts for the two ways it is used?

It's pretty short, and if things get more complicated it is likely that there will be parsing code in common. Seems reasonable to me.

* In the toplevel Makefile, the rule for xtests is more minimal than
   that for tests because there are no tests for xtests at top level.
   Is this appropriate, or should it use $(xtests-special) despite that
   variable being empty, and otherwise mimic the rule for tests?  Or,
   should we say that it's a deprecated feature to have tests at top
   level at all, that such tests would best be moved into
   subdirectories in separate patches, and so that keeping the xtests
   rule minimal is the right thing to do because it shows what the
   tests rule should look like once tests have been moved away from
   toplevel?

I have no opinion on this.

The patch looks reasonable to me, though I have one comment:
+	echo "ERROR: test results for $d missing"

I'd personally find it useful to say "$d directory" or something like that, for people who encounter this without having a lot of familiarity with the testsuite.

- Brooks