Re: [2.20] [2/6] Generate .test-result files for tests with special rules

On 02/14/2014 07:18 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 02/14/2014 08:21 AM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
* Should $(evaluate-test) go on the same line as the previous part of
   the command if it fits, or always on a separate line (or on a
   separate line unless the whole thing fits on a single line)?  (Patch
   1 uses a single line; this patch generally puts it on the same line
   as the previous part of the command if it fits.)

Always on a separate line, though separate line unless the whole thing
fits is also OK.

We need to decide this for the reworked version of patch 2 (which needs
substantial rework following my cleanup patches in any case), as well as
for patch 1 (current version
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-02/msg00429.html>).  You prefer
always on a separate line.  Brooks
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-02/msg00287.html> prefers
separate line unless the whole thing fits.

I like simple rules for mechanical things like formatting.

I suggest we stick to "always on a separate line" and move on.

I withdraw my previous opinion and concur with Carlos.

(I was initially thinking of the case where there were already multiple things on the line, but that's the exception rather than the rule.)

- Brooks