Re: Compiler for testing a bootstrapped glibc?

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Brooks Moses wrote:

> 1) Build a dynamic GCC using the just-built glibc, and install it on
> top of the static-only GCC we used for building.  This is arguably
> simpler, but means rebuilding anything in glibc after testing will get
> different results than before testing.  It also increases the overall
> build-and-test time.

Rebuilding shouldn't get different results - if the stripped binaries of
glibc built with the static-only GCC and glibc built with the dynamic GCC
aren't identical, that's a bug.

Logically, in a bootstrap context it makes sense to test with the GCC
you'll actually use with the newly built glibc - which presumably will be
the dynamic GCC.

(Unfortunately, if you install on top of the static-only GCC, dependencies
on GCC's headers will cause much of glibc to be rebuilt at "make check"
time.  And because things such as the C++ compiler won't have been
detected at configure time, "make check" may have problems anyway if the
build tree wasn't configured with the dynamic compiler used for testing.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com