Re: PowerPC: Define _STRING_ARCH_unaligned

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Roland McGrath wrote:

> We should not need a new header just for this.  In this case, it seems
> appropriate for the generic bits/string.h to provide the common default.
> It looks like the most common value is 1, but I'm not entirely sure.  We

I think the common case, in terms of number of architectures, is probably
0.  As I understand it, any architecture for which the GCC port defines
STRICT_ALIGNMENT to 1, or SLOW_UNALIGNED_ACCESS to evaluate to 1 for the
modes for which glibc can use unaligned accesses, should define
_STRING_ARCH_unaligned to 0.  (In cases where it depends on compiler
options, a more careful examination is needed to work out what variants
are actually relevant for glibc - it's quite possible that for some such
architectures, all processors supported by glibc support unaligned
operations for the relevant types.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com