Re: PowerPC: libc single-thread lock optimization

On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 13:49 -0300, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
> On 29-04-2014 13:22, Torvald Riegel wrote:

> >> I tend to agree with you, however the x86_64 implementation (sysdeps/x86_64/bits/atomic.h)
> >> itself relies on NPTL definitions (the check using (offsetof (tcbhead_t, multiple_threads)))).
> >> And the idea of changing the atomic.h it to simplify the logic to add this optimization:
> >> instead of changing the macros in lowlevellock.h and other atomic usage, it implements
> >> the optimization on the atomic itself.
> > I agree with Roland that atomic.h shouldn't have the optimization; to
> > me, the strongest reason is that we might need atomics that actually
> > synchronize independently of whether we have spawned a thread or used
> > cancellation.  Also, having this optimization in the atomics will make
> > it harder to move to, say, C11 atomics; we'd have to keep the wrappers.
>
> It does not solve the case for internal usage of atomic operations (for instance,
> atomic_compare_and_exchange_val_acq in malloc code).

In that case, this optimization should be in the malloc code.

> The idea of this patch is to
> mimic x86 optimization, not to refactor atomic case. So the general idea I got so
> far is: this should not be in atomic primitives, but x8_64 does it anyway.

I don't expect you to clean that up, it's just that I think the way x86
does it is not quite right, so duplicating this wouldn't be the right
thing to do.

> >> I bring this about x86 because usually it is the reference implementation and sometimes puzzles
> >> me that copying the same idea in another platform raise architectural question.  But I concede
> >> that the reference itself maybe had not opted for best solution in first place.
> >>
> >> So if I have understand correctly, is the optimization to check for single-thread and opt to
> >> use locks is to focused on lowlevellock solely?  If so, how do you suggest to other archs to
> >> mimic x86 optimization on atomic.h primitives?  Should other arch follow the x86_64 and
> >> check for __libc_multiple_threads value instead?  This could be a way, however it is redundant
> >> in mostly way: the TCP definition already contains the information required, so there it no
> >> need to keep track of it in another memory reference.  Also, following x86_64 idea, it check
> >> for TCB header information for sysdeps/CPU/bits/atomic.h, but for __libc_multiple_threads
> >> in lowlevellock.h.  Which is correct guideline for other archs?
> > >From a synchronization perspective, I think any single-thread
> > optimizations belong into the specific concurrent algorithms (e.g.,
> > mutexes, condvars, ...)
> > * Doing the optimization at the lowest level (ie, the atomics) might be
> > insufficient because if there's indeed just one thread, then lots of
> > synchronization code can be a lot more simpler than just avoiding
> > atomics (e.g., avoiding loops, checks, ...).
> > * The mutexes, condvars, etc. are what's exposed to the user, so the
> > assumptions of whether there really no concurrency or not just make
> > sense there.  For example, a single-thread program can still have a
> > process-shared condvar, so the condvar would need to use
> > synchronization.
>
> Follow x86_64 idea, this optimization is only for internal atomic usage for
> libc itself: for a process-shared condvar, one will use pthread code, which
> is *not* built with this optimization.

pthread code uses the same atomics we use for libc internally.
Currently, the x86_64 condvar, for example, doesn't use the atomics --
but this is what we'd need it do to if we ever want to use unified
implementations of condvars (e.g., like we did for pthread_once
recently).

> > * We currently don't have other intra-process sources of concurrency
> > than NPTL threads, but if we get another source (e.g., due to trying to
> > support accelerators), we'd likely need low-level synchronization to
> > communicate with the other thing -- and this would be independent of
> > whether we have threads.
>
> This optimization does not apply to pthread code.

If it uses atomics, it does.  condvars, mutexes, rwlocks don't use
atomics or barriers IIRC, but semaphores do, for example.  We have a
custom assembler implementation on x86 for semaphores, so the problem
isn't currently present.  If we don't want to keep those forever, we'll
need the atomics to be useful for process-shared synchronization as
well.