Re: alloca vs malloc

On 05/16/14 14:31, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:

Moreover, turning alloca failures into "reliable crashes" is not a
solution. If an operation requires allocation which could fail, it
must be able to back out whatever work it already did and report
failure. Crashing is not an acceptable implementation.

No, when it is third party codebase and it does not want to rewrite
existing code do you have a better proposal?
alloca is typically going to be expanded inline by the compiler. Calls from a 3rd party library into any glibc implementation of alloca should be rare enough that they're a "don't care" situation...

And to be clear, when I want to ban alloca, I'm referring to uses within glibc itself.

jeff