Security impact of nscd and NSS module bugs (particularly NIS)

It's quite difficult to for me to determine the security impact of bugs in ncsd. We have quite a few crashers under heavy load (threading issues, cache size leading to stack overflows etc.). What's the real-world impact of an nscd crash? Is there a functionality impact if in-process NSS modules are used? (Let's ignore broken modules such as the the old nss_ldap module.)

The other difficulty in this area is NIS. If we have a buffer overflow in processing data from NIS, is this a security bug? As far as I can tell, NIS is mostly used for accounts, so a malicious server could just serve an account with UID=0, so it's not obvious me that a trust boundary is crossed (which is required for a security vulnerability).

PS: Our friendly Bugzilla admins disabled notifications for security- transactions. Thanks!