Re: Distributions still suffering from s390 ABI change problems.

On 07/15/2014 12:41 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:45:22AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

>>> This would work if jmp_buf was an opaque structure. It is not the case
>>> and we can imagine code accessing its content. In that case it will
>>> still break.
>>
>> Conservative gc's like ruby access it and this would break ruby like
>> it did on ARM when we encrypted more of the jmp_buf than intended.
>
> Wouldn't it just follow the pointer? Even if it didn't, the pointers
> that used to be inside the jmp_buf would now be on the stack, which
> the GC will find anyway.

It might, but what I remember from the code it used the jmp_buf as
the starting point. I would have to review the code again to see if
it fell back to a straight stack walk after the jmp_buf.

If the jmp_buf wasn't on the stack then you still have a problem?

Cheers,
Carlos.