Re: looking for comments on this installation program

Zack> I wrote a program while I was on vacation which is intended to be the
Zack> back end of a new installation mechanism for libc.  It performs the
Zack> function of `install-sh' but should be faster and more flexible: it's
Zack> written in C and can install many files in one run according to a
Zack> script.  This should, for example, fix the reported problem that you
Zack> can't install 2.1 over 2.0 because the 2.0 dynamic linker is replaced
Zack> before the 2.1 libc.so and libdl.so are in place.

Zack> I don't expect to get this program into the 2.1 release, but I would
Zack> appreciate any comments.  I'm particularly interested in bug reports,
Zack> missing features, and design flaws.  The script language is
Zack> intentionally arcane and limited, to keep the program small.  I would
Zack> like to remedy this but am unsure how best to proceed.

Hi Zack,

we do need such a program for 2.1!  I'm currently looking into it so
that we can install all libraries and the dynamic linker with it
(libc,libdl and ld.so would be enough but I guess the Makefile part is
easier if all libs use the script).

I consider to generate during make install a file which contains a
rule for every library instead of installing the library.  The final
step would be to call your installation program with the just build
file as command file to install the libraries.  Do you think this
would work?

Is your program ready for use or do you know of bugs in it?  Do you
have a newer version than the one you send three months ago?

I don't think I'll manage this on my own and therefore will definitly
ask for some help (especially for the Makefiles).  But I'm trying to
get this started.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de