Re: A linux patch for a typo

On Mon, 25 May 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:

> That is very misleading. Those index macros for "struct user_regs_struct"
> used by the user programs, EBX, ECX, EDX, ...., are defined in
> linux/include/asm-i386/ptrace.h together with the kernel "struct pt_regs".
> Should they be moved into linux/include/asm-i386/usr.h with
> "struct user_regs_struct"? It doesn't make much senses to me.

They should.

But guess what?

I can't move them..

Why?

I cannot clean up even obvious bogosities, because if I do, I break old
libc header files. I'd love to move the thing to where it belongs, but if
I did, then I'd have users wondering why their applications do not compile
with newer kernels, because they have user level header files that include
the kernel header files and expect them to be in a specific place and
contain some specific stuff.

This is why I would prefer for libc to just take some random kernel, copy
all the header files, strip off the unnecessary ones that it isn't using,
and use the copies.

Then we wouldn't have this problem forever.

		Linus