Re: glibc update problems

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> Problems: After installing 2.0.7 (both times) several programs
> stopped working, giving error messages "error loading shared
> libraries" and "undefined symbol: __register_frame_info".  The
> programs included bash, X and ssh, all of which had been
> compiled against glibc 2.0.6 using gcc 2.8.N.

I ran into this problem as well.  It seems that egcs/gcc-2.8 have the
additional functions (de)register_frame_info as part of libgcc.a.  Any
shared library compiled will have these symbols.  Any shared lib
compiled with gcc-2.7 (redhat's glibc rpms) will not have these symbols.

There was one point that's still a bit cloudy to me.  In which of the
following situations will one need to worry about (de)register_frame_info
and will the symbols be defined in the shared lib or the executable?

egcs-compiled libc with egcs-compiled program?
egcs-compiled libc with gcc-2.7-compiled program?
gcc-2.7-compiled libc with egcs-compiled program?

- cls