Weird RPC problems with GLIBC 2.0.94 ?!?

Hi folks,

seems like i am having some weird RPC problems ...

On my ALPHA, i am running a 2.1.106 kernel with glibc 2.0.94 (as found on
ftp.kernel.org).  All software is compiled using egcs 1.0.3a and binutils
2.9.1.0.6.  The problem is that the portmap (portmap_5beta) apears to be
working: rpcinfo -p <HOSTNAME> shows portmap running and listening (?)...
However all RPC based services (ypserv 1.3.2, ypbind-mt 1.2, knfs 0.4.22,
...) complain about being unable to register themselves.  ypbind even claims
"port already in use"...

Any suggestions on how to pin-point the error?  The whole stuff works fine
on INTEL linux-2.1.105/glibc-2.0.6  (and used to work on ALPHA with an earlier
glibc-2.1 snapshot, i think it was some 2.0.92 snap...)

BTW. What is the status of GLIBC 2.0.94 on SPARC?  Will it work out of the
box or do i need additional patches (like the kernel does)?  My SS10 is
ready to go ahead with the FreeLinux/SPARC compile as soon as i have
the mentioned RPC problem solved...

Dominik Kubla
The FreeLinux Project

PS.  The configure script should balk if perl is not found...  Took me
     an hour plus a complete rebuild when the compile stumbled due to
     a deleted perl binary and therefore missing iconvdata headers: it merly
     noted the fact that perl was missing during configuration and then
     complained some hours later about the missing headers it was unable
     to generate.