Re: dumb question

   Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 01:16:33 -0400
   From: Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.phys.columbia.edu>

   On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:04:22 -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
   >> anyone know what 'struct ucred' is?
   >
   >It's a common type in BSD kernels.  Where did you come across it?

   In some userspace code that seems to expect it's defined in
   sys/types.h.  Or maybe sys/socket.h.  There's a reference in
   sysdeps/.../linux/bits/socket.h (__SCM_CREDENTIALS), but the actual
   type is not defined anywhere.

It is defined in one of the linux/*.h header files, but the header
file in question is not usable because of name-space pollution.  I
think we should define the type somewhere in one of the bits/*.h
files, but I don't know which one.

I intend to use `struct ucred' in the utmp daemon for getting the
credentials of the process at the other end of a socket with
SO_PEERCRED option.  I already have an implementation but it only
works with development kernels so I don't know if we should add it to
glibc before 2.2 is out.  With this change a non-suid xterm is
possible (I have one, but xterm needs somne changes to use grantpt() etc.).

Mark

PS Thorsten, if you want a code example, please ask
.