make bug?

The new mapfile arrangement confuses at least my make:  $(map-file)
isn't set properly for libc when libc.map was generated in this run of
make.  In other words, if I delete libc.map and sysd-versions, the
first time I run make it will fail linking libc because the map file
is passed to ld without --version-script.  The second time it works.

I think what's going on is that contrary to the documentation,
the $(wildcard ...) in the definition of map-file is being expanded
when the makefile is first read, probably when the libc.so rule is
defined.  At that time libc.map doesn't exist, so it fails.

Is anyone else seeing this?  I've got only make 3.76.1 at the moment.

zw