Re: status

For glibc 2.1 I'd like to see some more small changes:

- Check that it works with recent Linux kernels:
  + Linux 2.1.116/117 contain a new umount syscall with two
    parameters.  Alan Cox already said that he will send patches to
    Linus to rename the new call to umount2 - but we need a solution
    for this in glibc2.1 to support umount with two parameters.
  + Linus introduced the sendfile interface.  Shall we add it to glibc
    2.1?  In which header?  It shouldn't be a problem to emulate
    sendfile on older kernels/different architectures.
    The interface is sendfile (int out_fd, int in_fd, off_t *offset,
    size_t count) - for fast copying.

- The libstdc++ problem has to be solved, I hope HJ Lu's patches are
  ok.

- We've got a number of open bug reports
  (http://www-gnats.gnu.org:8080//cgi-bin/wwwgnats.pl).  I would
  really like to have all of them closed for glibc 2.1:

  207/454: bugs in localedef

  479: fgetpos() succeeds on nonseekable devices (e.g. pipes)

  562/565: Older binaries run erratically - BSS not zeroed. (I fear
  this is a binutils bug).

  601: ftell() changes the state of the file object which causes it

  673: _IO_unbuffer_all corrupts parent process's buffers

  697: Obstack behavior on failed allocation misdocumented

  I do appreciate your help and comments in fixing those bugs.

- These patches (which will be in 2.0.7) have still not been
  integrated in glibc 2.1.  Has anybody verified that the functions
  work now correctly if the buffers have to be enlarged?

1998-01-19  Andreas Jaeger  <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>

        * sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/gethostid.c (gethostid): Correct
        handling of enlarging buffers (clear errno).
        * sunrpc/clnt_simp.c (callrpc): Likewise.
        * sunrpc/getrpcport.c (getrpcport): Likewise.
        * sunrpc/clnt_gen.c (clnt_create): Likewise.
        * shadow/fgetspent.c (fgetspent): Likewise.
        * shadow/sgetspent.c (sgetspent): Likewise.
        * pwd/fgetpwent.c (fgetpwent): Likewise.
        * nss/getXXent.c (GETFUNC_NAME): Likewise.
        * nss/getXXbyYY.c (FUNCTION_NAME): Likewise.
        * inet/rexec.c (rexec): Likewise.
        * inet/rcmd.c (rcmd): Likewise.
        (ruserok): Likewise.
        (__icheckhost): Likewise.
        * grp/initgroups.c (initgroups): Likewise
        * grp/fgetgrent.c (fgetgrent): Likewise.
        Based on patches by Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>.

glibc 2.0.7 should be ok now.  I'm looking forward for the real
release!

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de