Re: What needs to be recompiled when upgrading to 2.1?

Uli> Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de> writes:
>> [...]

Uli> libstdc++ shouldn't have problems.  You have to adapt it to the
Uli> compiler only.

I've removed the words.

>> glibc 2.1 system.  You should just add -lcompat and you should be fine.

Uli> The library definitely should have the glibc version number in the
Uli> name.  E.g.,

Uli> 	libcompat-2.0.a

Uli> or so.

Ok, but this isn't implemented yet.  The question is how to rewrite
*now* the FAQ entry - and I'd like to see one!

Andreas

??	What needs to be recompiled when upgrading from glibc 2.0 to glibc
	2.1?

{AJ,CG} If you just upgrade the glibc from 2.0.x (x <= 7) to 2.1, binaries
that have been linked against glibc 2.0 will continue to work.

If you compile your own binaries against glibc 2.1, you also need to
recompile some other libraries.  The problem is that libio had to be
changed and therefore libraries that are based or depend on the libio
of glibc, e.g. ncurses or slang, need to be recompiled.  If you
experience strange segmentation faults in your programs linked against
glibc 2.1, you might need to recompile your libraries.

Another problem is that older binaries that were linked statically against
glibc 2.0 will reference the older nss modules (libnss_files.so.1 instead of
libnss_files.so.2), so don't remove them.  Also, the old glibc-2.0 compiled
static libraries (libfoo.a) which happen to depend on the older libio
behavior will be broken by the glibc 2.1 upgrade.  The idea is to produce a
libcompat.a that people will be able to use to link in if they want to
compile a static library generated against glibc 2.0 into a program on a
glibc 2.1 system.  You should just add -lcompat and you should be fine.

The glibc-compat add-on will provide the libnss_* files and other stuff so
that it is possible to use static library compiled against glibc 2.0 for
development on a glibc 2.1 based system.  Please note that this is currently
just an experiment, although the nss modules part should work.

{CG} Cristian Gafton, <gafton@redhat.com>

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de