Re: 2.2 projects

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 11:15:50AM -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Now it looks like 2.1 is in the can, we should start thinking about what we
> want to do for 2.2.  I already have a short list:
>
> - localedef rewrite
> - wide streams
> - build overhaul
> - new test framework
> - TLI over sockets, XTI if possible
> - Thomas's pthreads rewrite
>
> and a longer one:
>
> - OpenBSD extended crypt() [need non-US hacker]
> - complete IPv6 support [almost there?]
> - default to BSD network headers (?)
> - libio for Hurd (needs the new pthreads)
> - more, better documentation
> - more test cases (only ~10% of the library is tested right now)
> - better regexp library
> - tighter namespace cleanliness in POSIX mode, XPG if possible

We need a fix for the SunRPC/64bit Problem. I think we should
replace all longs in the RPC code. This could cause problems
with old binaries.

The SecureRPC auth functions for example DES need to be rewritten,
the current one have to much bugs.

svc_run should use poll(), too. Sun has an interface for it
in Solaris 2.6 and 7, which is binary compatiple. I think I
have understand it and could implement it.

For NIS+, we need an interface for a nis_cachemgr Daemon.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://home.pages.de/~kukuk/      kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg