Re: 2.2 projects

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 04:58:23AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > svc_run should use poll(), too. Sun has an interface for it
> > in Solaris 2.6 and 7, which is binary compatiple. I think I
> > have understand it and could implement it.
> >
> > For NIS+, we need an interface for a nis_cachemgr Daemon.
> >

> I am supposed to get the whole NIS+ source code for reference from
> Sun. But I was told it would take a few weeks. If everything goes
> well, we can expect a 100% compatible NIS+ implementation in the
> near future.

I have spooken with the people from Sun about that. We don't get the
source code, we could take a look at it, how they have solved some
things. And even that isn't sure. In the moment we are in the some
position, I ask the people from Sun, they give me an answer, and
we have 100% free source code, because nobody from us has seen the
code.

I don't think we should use the Sun NIS+ code. Think about SunRPC,
it makes a lot of problems, it has a lot of bugs, and nobody really
understand it all. Much more, I know some Sun Engeniers, who have
to maintain the code, and they don't understand what other had
written. And the Sun Code depends on Streams. I don't wish to
see a glibc, which needs kernel streams. Linus would like it ;-)

I have heard it would take one person 1 year to adapt the code
for glibc, what else could this person do in this year ?

My code works, it doesn't use TLI or streams and is in some
parts faster. For this few conditions, where it is much slower,
we have nscd, and you wouldn't see it. I know some german
universities, which uses glibc snapshots for their Linux
NIS+ clients, and the few problems they have are bugs in
my nis-utils. I hadn't the time to fix them.

 Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://home.pages.de/~kukuk/      kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg