BIND 8 and libresolv's soname

BIND 8 introduces a /lot/ of interface level changes.  They've added a
complete thread-safe interface (no global _res struct) and redone a
bunch of the back end. Many of the internal functions we used to
export have gone away.  Also, libresolv no longer provides
gethostbyname; they've added their own version of NSS, and the
equivalent of _nss_dns_gethostbyname calls res_query directly.

I am tempted to bump the libresolv major number.  Very very few
programs link directly with libresolv.so, therefore the impact should
be pretty minimal.  On my machine, it's only these:

ping
ping6
rblcheck
traceroute
traceroute6
tracepath
tracepath6
exim*

The starred entry - exim - is the only one likely to cause trouble.
That's the mail daemon.  Sendmail does the same thing.  This may or
may not be a show-stopper.  Neither sendmail nor exim use the internal
interfaces that have gone away, so it would just be a recompile... but
that may be too inconvenient for major mail hubs.

Comments?

zw