stability and so

Dudes,

I plan to check in the wide character stream stuff soon.  It works for
the test cases I have so far and there should be no regressions in the
single byte character streams.  But nevertheless the library will not
be fully functional for some time since I had to break the locale code
to avoid ugly temporary hacks.  All will work soon again as soon as
I'm also able to check in the locale changes I have here.  This might
take one or two weeks (hopefully not longer).

The consequence is that the mainline CVS version will not be usable
for real life for some time.  I don't think this is a problem but if
somebody is of a different opinion speak up now.  It's far too long
that I had the changes only locally available here.  I now need help
with the testing and with documenting the new functions.  This is
where I hope you can help.

We still have the 2.1 branch from which there will be a release as
soon as I find the time so instability for some time shouldn't be a
problem.

OK?