Re: mailpath bug

On Thu, Jun 24, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, H.J. Lu wrote:
> >
> > > In RedHat 6.0, some problems, like finger, use /var/mail as the mail
> > > spool dir. But the mail is in /var/spool/mail. I though /var/mail
> > > was the current Linux standard. Is that true?
> >
> > /var/mail is in the FHS 2.0, but was withdrawn from 2.1.

This was FHS 2.1pre1, FHS 2.1pre2 has changed it again:
The mails must be reachable through /var/mail, but it is now
allowed to be a link to /var/spool/mail

> > finger is busted in this case.

The finger SuSE uses had /var/mail hardcoded in the sources
and doesn't use paths.h. So changing it in the glibc sources
doesn't solve it in every case.

> Ulrich, could you please update _PATH_MAILDIR in
>
> libc/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/paths.h
>
> in glibc to reflect this change?

I'm not sure that it is correct.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg