Re: assert (! "unexpected dynamic reloc type");

> Well, maybe we should make it optional.  The many strings will
> increment the code size and for platforms like x86 and m68k it won't
> be necessary since if there is an unknown tag it is an error in the
> binary.

That is exactly the point.  You want to know which binary, as well as which
type to look for.  The string constants will probably be shorter than the
existing one that the assert macro creates.  Reloc types are one byte and
hex is fine to output them, so the code to format the value will be tiny.