Fwd: getpwnam quit returning passwd: expected?

Comments?

--- begin forwarded text
To: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
Subject: getpwnam quit returning passwd: expected?
From: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: 10 Aug 1999 21:32:45 -0500

I noticed in the latests revisions, getpwnam has quit returning the
encrypted password for the user, even if you're root (seemed a little
weird since root can read any file anyway).  Is that intentional?  If
so, is there somewhere I can read up on the rationale?  I didn't know
if this was an upstream thing or a Debian issue.

(I was using perl to solve a local problem with getpwnam, and since
  perl doesn't provide the getsp* functions, this change caused some
  difficulty.  I just wanted to make sure I know what's going on so I
  can modify my code in a way that's unlikely to break again in the
  future.)

Thanks