Re: Time for glibc 2.1.2 final?

Uli> Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de> writes:
>> what open problems do we have for a 2.1.2 release?

>> - the crt[ni].* problem Zack mentioned (this seems to be IMHO the only
>> show stopper)

Uli> This is no problem with the patch I added.  As rth commented, I also
Uli> don't believe Zack's words that with the -march=i386 flag properly
Uli> used there is a problem.

To double check this, I updated my gcc installation with:
$ /opt/gcc-2.96/bin/gcc -v
Reading specs from /opt/gcc-2.96/lib/gcc-lib/i486-pc-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 19990905 (experimental)

I recompiled the current glibc 2.1.2 with that gcc and got
an error message when trying to execute any binary.  For example:

aj@arthur: 07:07:48 /usr/glibc/src/buildreport/19990905
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:elf LD_DEBUG=all elf/ld.so string/tester
11249:  file=string/tester;  generating link map
string/tester: error in loading shared libraries: failed to map segment from shared object: Error 9

I compiled glibc without any special CFLAGS, just with the current CVS
gcc.

I don't know what's broken here.  Anybody an idea how to debug this?

Has anybody been successfully build glibc with a recent gcc?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de