32bit uids on Alpha, MIPS, PPC and Sparc64

AFAIK the Linux ports for Alpha, MIPS, PPC and Sparc64 always had
32bit uids and therefore don't need any compatibility stuff.

The following five files in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux use __ASSUME_32BITUIDS:

getresgid.c, getresuid.c, msgctl.c, semctl.c, shmctl.c

Looking at the code from e.g. getresuid.c, I don't think this will
work with Alpha etc.  Jakub, does it work for you on Ultrasparc with
headers from 2.3.39+ kernels and --enable-kernel=2.3.40?  I would be
surprised ;-)

What's the best way to handle this?

I would like to move getresgid and getresuid to the i386 subdir and
have files in the generic linux dir that don't use __ASSUME_32BITUIDS.
The alternative would be to have files in the alpha etc subdirs with
do this right.

Do we have to change msgctl, semctl and shmctl, also?  Looking at the
code, I do think they're ok.

What do you think?  Shall I send a patch?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de