Re: A patch for csu/gmon-start.c

   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:40:37 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com>

   On ia64, the address of a function is not the address of the
   label of the function.

Why is this the case?  Looks pretty broken to me.  Are you sure this
*really* is the case, and can you explain why?  Are you sure it's not
some kind of bug in the ia64 toolchain.

Both _start and etext refer to locations in the text segment.
Declaring them as functions makes sure the addresses are looked up
right for systems where the text segment uses different addressing as
the data segment I suppose.  You patch changes this!

Mark