Re: ldconfig problems

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> Here's an updated patch.  Is this one ok?

It works to the extend you planned it to.

How I understood Roland (and how I would do this) is a bit different.
I would have the prefix (either compiled in or passed on the ldconfig
command line) determine which directories to search in a way similar
to chroot().  I.e., no directory below the prefix directory or in a
different tree is ever used.  Example:

- I'm installing in /test.  This means the sysconfig dir is /test/etc,
  the libraries are in /test/lib etc

- ldconfig  would search for DSOs in /test/lib and perhaps /test/usr/lib
  (unless overwritten by a ld.so.conf file)

- ldconfig will never look into /lib, /usr/lib etc unless told so

This has the advantage that you can have a completely isolated testing
arena without fearing to pickup old DSOs.  If this is wanted, ldconfig
can be told to look into the regular directories.