Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 08:00:05AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > The libgcc ABI cannot simply be changed without good reason and
> > preparation.  This should be clear meanwhile.  There must be much
> > finer coordination.
>
> But given good reason and preparation, how could gcc then make use of
> the added features, if libgcc.so is a third-party product?

gcc has to well document the added ABI functions. It will be added
to the target specific libgcc.so package after testing which is
specific to each individual target. Some may choose to drop backward
compatibilty and some may want to keep it. Some may come back to gcc
and say that the changes are not acceptable unless such such
modifications are made. It is very tricky stuff specific to each
individual target system software. I don't believe gcc has the sources
to do it right on all targets. IMHO, delegating it to each target is
the only sane way to go.

H.J.