Re: PR libc/1635

   Sender: drepper@cygnus.com
   Cc: libc-hacker@sourceware.cygnus.com
   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
   Date: 17 Jul 2000 15:11:04 -0700

   Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

   > We'll need to add `getipnodebyname' to `inet/Versions' someday.
   > However, the current implementation contains some bugs.  I'm already
   > working on those, and I'll provide a patch (including a test) in the
   > near future.  If you haven't added it by then, I'll included the
   > `inet/Versions' patch too.

   Well, these functions will go away.  They don't solve the problems
   they are designed to solve.  I'm not convinced it's a good idea to add
   the functions at all.

I'm surprised to hear that.  Did I miss something?  They're still
present in the Austin draft 3, and I haven't seen any traffick on the
Austin mailing list about them.  And AFAIK RFC 2553bis
(draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis) isn't amended/withdrawn either.

Anyway, if they're really going to be replaced, we definitely
shouldn't add them (remove getipnodybyaddr() again).

Mark