Re: glibc 2.1 and gabi

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:18:57AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> Especially the DT_RUNPATH change is important.  This means that where
> previously -rpath did only set DT_RPATH, it now also sets DT_RUNPATH.
> As I understand it DT_RUNPATH is supposed to replace DT_RPATH in the
> new ELF specs, but with slightly different semantics (at least on some
> platfroms).  This makes me wonder whether setting both is really such

I don't think it should do any harm. You only enable it with
--enanle-new-dtags. The ld.so should check DT_RUNPATH first and
then DT_RPATH. It will skip DT_RPATH if DT_RUNPATH is found. If it
doesn't know DT_RUNPATH at all, it should just ignore it.

> an idea.  I think that changes such as these deserve some deserve some
> more discussion on the binutils list before they are made.  HJ, could

That is in the new gABI. We should fix ld.so if it is broken. Of
course, we can express our concerns to the gABI people.

> you please try to cooperate a bit more and give other people who
> depend on the ELF linker a chance to comment on this kind of changes?

I am listening. It is not casted in stone. We can make changes if
warranted.

H.J.