Re: localedef and UTF-8 locales

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

> I wonder, wouldn't it make sense to add some special option to localedef,
> with which user could specify a cache file. make install_locales would
> delete this cache file first, and for LC_COLLATE resp.

I'm not at all in favor of this.  First, the current situation is
caused by almost no specialization in the files.  The LC_CTYPE
category might actually be shared as is, yes, but the LC_COLLATE stuff
most certainly needs some customization for almost everybody.  It just
hasn't been done.

The second problem is that I'm not sure the current state (with all
these files etc) is going to be what will be used in future.  I have
some ideas how to restructure them to increase overall runtime
efficiency.  The compile-time aspect is something I don't care.  Just
build on a fast machine with many processors.  It nothing you have to
do every few hours.