Re: 2.3 plans

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> I hope that before this does start to happen, whenever that is, you let us
> here know about your implementation ideas in detail, early and often.

I currently have no immediate plans or ideas.  The problem is that the
Linux kernel is currently not suitable for a good thread
implementation and before this is changed I'll not spend a second
thinking about this.

The idea is, of course, to have a generic implementation which can
suit Linux and Hurd.  Other kernels are optional.

> Does "Later" in your list mean that you now don't plan this for 2.3?

No.  It means work will start later in the 2.3 development cycle.

> But I was always concerned about the problem of handling faults.  It's
> always possible for an access to the mapped region to fault because of an
> EIO error in the filesystem backing the page.  If that happens inside a
> stdio function or inside the getc macro, it should be handled and just
> return a normal stdio error, rather than letting the signal through to the
> program.  Do you have a plan to address that issue?

Not really.  Access to mmap()ed pages is today almost everywhere
assumed to work without causing EIO errors.  Almost all programs
(including ld.so and other glibc code) will just fail.  I have not
seen this to be an issue anywhere in the last years so I think it is
safe to ignore this.

> We may still be able to do that soon enough not to support the old
> (current) Hurd ABI with GNU stdio in 2.3 at all, but I can't be sure
> yet.

There won't be a 2.3 release which has to be supported for some time.
Ripping the stdio code out is therefore no problem.  It just has to
happen before a 2.3 release.

> I have a Hurd-specific aio implementation that might be ready for 2.3, and
> also possibly a posix_spawn implementation.  Aside from that, I don't
> anticipate anything else for Hurd in 2.3 other than bug fixes and possibly
> incorporating more ports.

OK, I'll add these two points to the list and assign them to you.