Re: strptime bugs

Mark Brown <bmark@us.ibm.com> writes:

> There is actually a Permanent Interpretation already made for this in the
> SUS (Note that strptime is "XSI" in the Austin document,
> which means it is a part of the UNIX trademark standard but not POSIX).
> [...]

Thanks, Mark.  I don't want to preach or say "told you" etc.  But this
should clearly show that test suites cannot be trusted when it comes
to standard compliance.  Especially the OpenGroup test suites only
test what currently certfied Unixes do.  Whenever a new Unix (not
derived from the initial sources) was tested the test suite had to be
modified.  This will be the same with Linux.

So, if you are working with test suites it might be good to look more
critical at the test suite than at the existing code.  It's not that
the code we currently use is new and real problems will probably have
been recognized and fixed.